Monday, January 3, 2011

Life and Times Across the Pond - Part 2

What at first sight is a multicultural diaspora that puts Canada to complete and total shame is just a thin veneer on how things really are.  There's not much of a class system... more like a caste system.  And if you're not at the right level, you're total dirt.  What really gets me is that the dirt expects it.  I held the door open for the office tea-boy yesterday, and he had no idea what to do about it.  He was loaded up with a tray of maybe a dozen coffee cups... the door wasn't going to be the easiest thing to manage, so since I was there already anyhow, I helped him out.  He had no idea what to make of it.  I find that pretty damn sad that there are peoples out here that have been used for so long for so little  that a little kindness knocks 'em on their hineys.

No comments:

Post a Comment